INSTRUCTIONS TO OUR CLIENTS WITH PERSONAL INJURY CLAIMS
1. DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE about your accident except our office. Do not talk to your own insurance company or anyone else without first notifying our office so we can have these statements taken with one of our lawyers present.
2. YOUR DOCTOR -You should return to each of your doctors as often as necessary. Always tell them about all your complaints. Do not minimize your ailments. A doctor must know these things in order to treat you properly. If you plan to see any additional doctors, let us know before you see them. Tell us the name, address, and phone number of any doctor you see.
3. RECORDS - Please keep accurate and detailed records of the following:
A. Lost time and wages;
B. Hospital, doctor, drug, and other medical bills;
C. Other losses directly resulting from your injuries;
D. Your complaints and progress.
All your bills should be paid by check, credit or debit card and you should keep receipts. These records will be helpful years later when the defense asks you to recall your pain, difficulties, and expenses.
4. REPAIRS - DO NOT have your automobile or anything that was involved in your accident repaired or discarded until we have had time to examine it, photograph it, have it examined by an expert, or stored if necessary in order to preserve the evidence for your case. If your case involves a product or item not in your control, please try to see that it is not repaired or disposed of until we have photographed it and had it examined by an expert, if necessary.
5. OFFENSES, FINES OR DISCIPLINARY ACTION - DO NOT appear or give statements before a Court or any other type of disciplinary board or other proceeding without first notifying this office so we can represent you at such a hearing, if necessary. Things you say could be held against you at a later date.
6. WITNESSES - Immediately furnish us with the correct names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any witnesses you know about. If someone will be leaving the area permanently, please call us so we can take their deposition if necessary.
7. EVIDENCE - Give your lawyer any digital pictures or photographs you take including the negatives and/or digital files. If you are hospitalized and receive any type of treatment such as physical therapy, please notify our office so we can photograph you if necessary. If your injury requires a cast, a brace or other appliance, save it for evidence in the event of a trial. Please talk to us about any evidence that you have or know about that may help us to prove your injury case. Save any physical evidence and discuss it with your lawyer.
8. BE AWARE. The Defendant's insurance company or your own insurance company may have you videotaped or photographed in an attempt to show that your injuries are not permanent or severe. BE CAREFUL IN YOUR OUTDOOR PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES. Do not post anything about your injury on social media sites such as Facebook. The insurance company may monitor these sites for information to use against you.
9. HOSPITAL AND DOCTORS BILLS - Submit all bills to any available insurance you have, including group medical or automobile coverage. Doctors and hospitals are more cooperative when their bills are paid. You should not expect them to wait until your case is tried or settled to receive payment. You should pay any balance as soon as possible.
10. QUESTIONS - We will not contact you unless we have something definite to report. We will contact you for depositions, answers to interrogatories, and when your case is ready for trial. If you have any questions regarding your claim, please feel free to call or write us. For everyone's convenience, please do not come into the office expecting to see one of the lawyers without first making an appointment.
11. YOUR ADDRESS - Notify us immediately regarding any change of address or phone number.